These tools make search engine advertising easier
Digitally content to help you with search engine advertising[pt_view id=”3cf5b36blx” taxonomy=post_tag terms=”tactics,sea” operator=”AND”]
Search advertising on Google is powered by AdWords
Google is the most popular search engine in the world. To advertise on Google you need to use AdWords, the paid search advertising platform for Google. AdWords allows you to show search engine ads and also advertise on other Google products such as YouTube. Bing also has an ad platform called Bing Ads. Remember that there may be other search engines you need to consider if you promote your business globally. In China for example, the leading search engine is Baidu. For search advertising on Baidu you would need to use their ad platform Baidu Advertising.
How does B2B search advertising help small businesses?
As a B2B marketer you probably already know you are walking up a steep hill. Not only are you trying to make the most of a small budget you are also competing against established brands who may have already won hearts and minds. All businesses need to be found in the search results and B2B small businesses more than most. We know B2B buying journeys start with a search. This means businesses that don’t appear in the results will struggle to be part of the research and consideration phase. Large established brands usually dominate the search results. They also benefit from the added advantage that unlike small businesses, an established brand (Iike BM) could be added to the mix without first going through the early research phases of the customer journey. Search engine advertising helps B2B small businesses get a foothold in the search results.
What challenges do marketers face with B2B search advertising?
Getting off the ground with B2B advertising for any business can be a challenge. Several B2B businesses I’ve worked with in the past didn’t run any PPC ads because they never considered search advertising as an option. Search advertising can be a significant lead gen source for B2B businesses. Imagine being able to run an ad for you latest white paper, showing it only to people who are searching for relevant terms. The challenge with B2B search advertising is keyword selection.If you sell IT hardware to businesses and advertise on the phrase ‘computer monitors’, is the searcher a consumer or a business? 99% of the time the searcher will be a consumer. That is the challenge facing B2B businesses. How does a B2B business find the terms a business would search as opposed to a consumer? The same applies whether you sell services or goods. B2B marketers need to spend more time finding the right search terms to target.
Five tips for successful B2B search advertising
- Never target single words. B2B buyers will have complex searches, leverage this to your advantage. Use keyword research tools to help you.
- Have a valuable asset to promote. B2B buyers are not going to make a purchasing decision as soon as they visit your site. Equally, you are paying per click so need something to show for it. Find the ideal medium for giving value to your audience and generating a lead.
- Target different parts of the buying journey. You need to engage prospects at the start of their journey differently to a prospect who is looking for vendors. Target your keywords, calls to action, assets, ads and pages to the intent of the searcher.
- Use tailored landing pages. The closer a landing page can match the intent of the searcher the more likely they will be to convert. Don’t leave your visitor to flap around wondering what to do next.
- Search advertising on Google is done on a pay per click model. The amount you pay per click depends on your quality score not just competition. Optimize your quality score by having focused keyword groupings, targeted ads and tailored landing pages.